Wednesday, June 29, 2011

A book that might be of interest to some of you

So John and I--the planning dorks that we are--have already discussed educating our children. I don't think it's that unreasonable that we've thought about it since I'm a school teacher and once we move after residency, young John will start kindergarten. (And that folks, will be here before you know it!)

Because I'm a teacher by trade, we've talked about my homeschooling our children. I was opposed to the idea since I have a vision of what homeschooling families look like--picture moms with long braided hair, large denim jumpers with decorative buttons and big pockets, kids with their pants pulled up really high and unable to carry on a conversation about anything other than those "horrible public school children"--and I wasn't going to join them. I've since had my eyes opened to the real world of homeschooling by some great friends who home school and we consider it a great option for our family. (I emphasize our since every family is different.) As my Aunt Lila says, "I'll never go hungry since I eat a steady diet of my own words."

I'm excited about the release of this book, since I recently read a book by Sally Clarkson and thought it was great. I'm looking to get a copy, but I'll wait until young John is preschool age...maybe!

3 comments:

  1. ok so which one did you read? i just finished mission of motherhood---probably one of the best mothering books i've read yet! one of the other staff wives and i read it together this month and discussed it--i loved it!! i want to read more of her stuff. i'm gonna email you b/c i have some thoughts about this fall : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just read Ministry of Motherhood and really liked it. We should trade so we can read both!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete