Wednesday, November 28, 2012

House Helper

Young John is so eager to help around the house. He started emptying the small trashcans before he was two, learned to effectively use the cordless vacuum about that age, loads clothes into the washer and dryer (which he calls "my chipper job") and here lately has kept our recycling bin empty since he gets his shoes on and empties it into the rolling cart outside if anything is in it. I could use a dose of his eagerness! One major highlight is that he not only lifts up the toilet seat 75% of the time, he also cleans up if he misses during his bathroom trips. 

John has also gained several skills that help him get around some of the safeguards we've put throughout the house. He can easily open a door with a knob cover (or hit it in such a way that it falls off); move chairs/ottomans/baskets to get things that are out of reach like screw drivers, chef knives, and books off the mantel; push down the cabinet door locks to get to the contents; and so on. His independence has resulted in many messes, a broken refrigerator shelf, and some small-scale meltdowns (as well as a few large-scale ones) and needs for discipline and teaching. Channeling his energy in this area is a challenge but mostly fun, and I really appreciate how adept he is at helping. 

Earlier this evening, I realized our toilet paper roll was almost out but I didn't get a new roll. We had dinner, sent John off to work for the night, went to Trader Joe's for peanut butter (and $40 of other not needed, but oh-so-tasty groceries), and got ready for bed. I headed upstairs to do some sewing and computing and heard him out of bed. I wasn't happy since he's not to get out of bed, but he said he needed to go to the bathroom. I conceded, he came up for help to get his pajamas back on, and we walked back to his room so I could tuck him in.

Fast forward two hours. I've been upstairs working and dawdling and head down stairs to use the restroom and wash my face. I find a new roll of toilet paper waiting for me. How sweet is that? I guess he saw the need, went into the hall closet for another roll and set it out. Lord, help me think of this tomorrow when his desire to help results in a fit or a mess.

Children--a wonderfully bewildering adventure!

1 comment:

  1. This is so wonderfully precious. What a sweet boy! Love how you're working with him to shape his god-given personality.

    ReplyDelete